Speech Recognition Engineer
SmartAction™ is a cutting-edge Intelligent Voice Automation (IVA/IVR) and digital customer self-service services company on a rapid growth trajectory. Our disruptive, yet well-proven technology, strong customer base, and financial strength, form a solid foundation for long-term viability.
Our solution is based on over 10 years of artificial intelligence research and development and is well positioned to fill the significant void between current technology and human call center agents. It is a truly unique solution within a rapidly expanding technology market for Cloud based AI solutions. We offer an energetic work environment, a great product, and operational and technical support, to enable the right candidate to be successful.
The Speech Recognition Engineer on the Product Team is responsible for developing and maintaining the Company’s Product offering and conducting cutting edge research in improving our technology. In this role, you will be using primarily C# to develop our AI products but you must have the ability to pick up or develop additional specialized programming languages as necessary. Additionally, you will participate in all phases of the software development life cycle including gathering requirements, design & architecture of systems and code, design of appropriate tests, coding and development. Furthermore, you will be expected to participate in code reviews and also general troubleshooting if necessary. You must be able to work under direction, especially during the early training process, and also independently or as a team member. After initial learning phase of a few months, will be expected to make significant contributions.
This person will work on our internal application development and infrastructure teams. This is an onsite position located in El Segundo, California. We cannot sponsor visas or work with remote teams or people at this time.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Ability to visualize large data sets
- Understanding of statistics, calculus and linear algebra
- Understanding of machine learning technologies
- Understanding of deep networks and neural networks
- Knowledge of or background in phonetics, phonology and linguistics in general
- Ability to write efficient algorithms and create sophisticated data structures
- Ability to organize and programmatically extract information from unstructured data
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science
- Ability to work with .NET framework in C#, C++
- Experience with LISP and Knowledge Programming
- Ability to use Python
- Ability to write effective Bash scripts
- Comfortable with speech recognition modeling framework
- Knowledge of CFGs and parsers
More Specifically, You Will:
- Gather training data from disparate sources and unstructured data
- Be responsible for training new ASR, acoustic and language models
- Solve complex NLP/NLU problems
- Be responsible for helping improve SmartAction’s current language recognition models and implementation of new models as necessary
- Work with colleagues to implement new interfaces to SmartAction’s technology stack and improve current interfaces
- Participate in architecture, design and code reviews
- Keep abreast of new technological developments and suggest them as necessary
- Conduct and contribute to research within the company on his/her specialty
- Serve as a guardian of high product quality and high code quality in his/her area of expertise
- Serve as a technical resource for company, making presentations on technology capabilities to other departments on his/her area of expertise and technical training to colleagues
Other Personal Characteristics
- Intelligent, bright, conceptual thinker and a quick learner with the ability to quickly assess a situation and generate new insights and usable ideas
- A leader as well as a team player who takes responsibility for results
- Ability to positively influence others to achieve goals
- Good chemistry and fit with the firm’s culture; a constructive positive attitude; mature and self-confident
- Creative and curious, able to develop new and innovative solutions to complex problems
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
We offer a fun and energetic work environment in addition to M/D/V, 401k, FSA, vacation, and work-life balance.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to put the job title Speech Recognition Engineer in the subject line.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.